St. Clair Cemetery
Home | Contact Us | Note on Research
A website devoted to St. Clair Cemetery, Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania

Submit Information

Donate

Buy Booklet

Links

Historical Society of Mount Lebanon

2005 Dedication Ceremony

Boy Scout Project 2006

2006 Dedication Ceremony

Boy Scout Project 2010

The John A. Martin Family and the Irwin Family


The Martin Farm. On the left is where the underpass on Sleepy Hollow Road now stands. On the right is the Martin spring house.

John A. Martin (1824-1892) was born a year after his parents, John and Mary (Chambers) Martin, emigrated to America from County Down, Ireland. In 1823, the elder John purchased David Kennedy's farm of 50 acres and later expanded it by another 50. The Martin family lived there in a log cabin between what is now McNeilly and Sleepy Hollow roads in the Baldwin/Castle Shannon area.

In 1853, Rev. Clokey married John to Adaline Irwin. Around 1850, Adeline's father, James Irwin, built a house close to what is now Sunset Drive and Catalpa Place in Mt. Lebanon; five generations of Irwins and Martins lived there until it was torn down in 1922 to make way for the Sunset Hills development. James Irwin is buried here with wife, Eliza, and daughters Elvira, Mary Ann and son Matthew P. Matthew's daughter Lizzie died at age three of dysentery.

John and Adaline's house was located on a rise above what is now Sleepy Hollow Shopping Center. They had two children-Ella and Charles W. (who served as a Mt. Lebanon commissioner from 1916 to 1920 and lived in his grandfather Irwin's house on Sunset with his wife Anna). Adaline died in childbirth (the child, Addie, died as well). John's second wife, Martha Jane Long, was a daughter of Alexander Long, a pioneer of the area. John and Martha had six children including three who died at the age of 1-Willie M., Ada and J. Frank. The footstone of Adaline's grave reads: "The wife of my youth." There are no dates on the stone for Addie.
Last modified: Wed, 31 August 2011 (01:13:39 PM)